What do I do before a Hurricane
Hurricane Dorian is heading towards the US, even if it doesn’t come to North Carolina, knowing what to do before it hits can help prevent damage or loss to your family, house, and property.
First things First, In the event of an emergency, please call 911.
Knowing the emergency contact numbers for Winston-Salem is very important.
City of Winston-Salem Police and Fire Department
- Emergency 911
- Non-Emergency 336-773-7700
- Twitter of Winston Salem Fire Department
- Twitter for Winston Salem Police Department
- Winston Salem Road Conditions
Local Weather News
List of Necessary Items before a hurricane
- An Emergency Readiness Plan for your family
- 3 days worth of water
a good rule of thumb, is 1 gallon of water for each person or pet
- 3 days of non perishable food for each person or pet
- First Aid Kit
- Battery Powered Radio or NOAA radio alert
- Portable Power bank to charge cell phones
- Full Tank of Gas in car
- Whistle to Signal for Help
- How to Prepare for a Hurricane
How to Help your House survive the hurricane
- Cover your windows with storm shutter or plywood, or use Tape
While tape won’t prevent your windows from breaking, it will help keep the broken glass shards together.
- Learn if you are in an area that floods, and how to properly sand bag your home
How to Sandbag your Home or Business
- Clean out your rain gutters
Are you and your rain gutters prepared
How to help your pet during a hurricane
- Please, if possible, provide shelter for your pets.
- If you pet goes missing know where to look.
Forsyth Humane Society
- Spare Medication for your pets
- Copy of shot and medication records
While we all hope and pray that the hurricanes never hit our homes, we know that eventually it will happen. Taking steps to prepare is always the best way to handle any storm.
If you’ve already experienced flooding or storm damage, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us! We will treat your home like our own. SERVPRO of Winston-Salem North stands 100% behind our motto “Like it never even happened”. Stay Safe & Stay prepared, Hurricane Season 2019 is only just starting.