Can I keep my things after a house fire?
In 2017, The Fire Department of Winston-Salem responded to over 700 house fires. Statistically that's 2 or more fires a day. Our Brave Men and Women at the WSFD, are tasked with a grueling and unforgiving job. Time and again, they are called upon day after day to run head first in to burning buildings and cars to save those inside.
Next Monday, October 28th 2019 is National First Responders day, and I hope everyone finds a time to thank our local Winston-Salem First Responders.
Did you know, that after a fire, most items in your home are potentially dangerous. There are 4 things that you need to throw away immediately after a fire.
- Perishable Food items
- These items were exposed to extremely temperatures and will spoil quickly. Power is generally cut and those food items in your fridge will have reached unsafe temps for too long
- Non Perishable Food Items
- Everything in cupboards and on counters were exposed to fire, soot, and possible fire extinguishing chemicals and are now unsafe to eat.
- Cosmetics and Medicines
- After being exposed to high heat, most cosmetics and medicines have melted. Even more importantly, medicines exposed to high heat might have changed chemically and are no longer safe to ingest, or have become obsolete.
- Clothing, Bedding, and soft textiles
- If it was burned or singed in anyway, properly dispose of them
- Find a professional cleaning service, and they might be able to salvage and clean some items
More of our blogs on Fire Damage and Safety
While we hope you never experience a disaster in your home, we do know we are ready to help you restore it in the event of one. Just give us a call any time 24/7 we are always here to help.
SERVPRO of Winston Salem North
4994 Indiana Ave. Ste B
Winston Salem, NC 27106-2810
Phone: (336) 744-5104
Fax Number: (336) 744-5105