Emergency Fire Damage Tips
Did you know every 90 seconds a residential fire occurs somewhere in the U.S.? If a fire strikes your home or business, know that SERVPRO of Metairie is here to help
Until a SERVPRO professional arrives, here are some DO’s and DON’Ts to help reduce damage and increase the chances of a successful restoration:
- Limit movement in the home and keep your hands clean. This helps prevent soot particles from being embedded into your carpet or upholstery.
- Place old, dry colorfast towels or linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty the freezer and refrigerator completely and prop the doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim, and appliances. Protect the surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- Change your HVAC filter.
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces, or clean any carpet or upholstery, without first contacting a SERVPRO professional.
- Consume any food, beverages, or medicines that may have been stored close to fire, heat, or water. (They may be contaminated.)
- Send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
For other emergency tips for your home, please contact SERVPRO of Winston Salem North