Dangers of a Sewage Backup
Sewage back ups are among one of the worst plumbing problems because of the risk that they present to homeowners and residents. Sewage can spread illness, disease and even death. The National Resources Defense Council reports that nearly 2 million cases of illnesses are caused by sewage contamination each year. Sewage is full of contaminants, viruses and bacteria that pose a serious threat to people and their pets. In addition, sewage may contain other toxic substances like pesticides, residuals from pharmaceutical drugs, fungi and protozoan.
Here are some of the most common bacteria that are found in sewage and what they can do the human body:
- E. Coli – Causes abdominal cramping, diarrhea and occasionally death.
- Acanthomoeba – Causes eye, nose, throat and ear infections.
- Salmonella – Causes abdominal cramping and diarrhea
- Heliobacter Pylpri – Leads to increased chance of ulcers
- Hepatitis – Causes liver infection and liver failure
- Leptospirosis – Creates muscle aches and vomiting
- Coronavirus – Including COVID-19