What To Do Before A Hurricane Arrives
As many of you know hurricane Ida swept through Louisiana, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Luckily it skipped over North Carolina but in the event, one does pass over us during this hurricane season knowing what to do before it hits can help prevent damage or loss to your family, house, and property.
First things first, in the event of an emergency, please call 911.
Knowing the emergency contact numbers for Winston-Salem is very important.
City of Winston-Salem Police and Fire Department
- Emergency 911
- Non-Emergency 336-773-7700
- Twitter of Winston Salem Fire Department
- Twitter for Winston Salem Police Department
- Winston Salem Road Conditions
Local Weather News
List of Necessary Items before a hurricane
- An Emergency Readiness Plan for your family
- 3 days worth of water;
a good rule of thumb is 1 gallon of water for each person or pet
- 3 days of nonperishable food for each person or pet
- First Aid Kit
- Battery Powered Radio or NOAA radio alert
- Portable Power bank to charge cell phones
- Full Tank of Gas in your car
- Whistle to Signal for Help
How to Help your House survive the hurricane
- Cover your windows with a storm shutter or plywood, or use Tape. While tape won’t prevent your windows from breaking, it will help keep the broken glass shards together.
- Learn if you are in an area that floods, and how to properly sandbag your home.
How to Sandbag your Home or Business.
- Clean out your rain gutters.
How to help your pet during a hurricane
- Please, if possible, provide shelter for your pets.
- If your pet goes missing know where to look.
Forsyth Humane Society.
- Spare Medication for your pets.
- Copy of shot and medication records.
Make sure you know where to go to track hurricanes to ensure if it is headed your way.